In February of ’72 was my official date of commitment to Christ. The experience was real & amazing in many ways, and more interesting than I expected. I resolved at that time to study Christianity objectively at the source, to figure out what had happened to me. I studied the Book seriously for a couple years, then began to memorize passages that stood out. It seemed logical to categorize the references. In my 3-4 years spontaneous (Holy Spirit led?) memory effort, I ingested nearly 900 passages in 84 categories. I have 7 larger categories of at least one typed page each which are: Sin, Error/Philosophy, Imposters, Inspiration, Comfort, New Covenant, & Jesus. The New Covenant category is the biggest, and the Jesus category is second biggest. I believe those 7 larger categories present a good “cross section” of the essence of Biblical Christianity.
Now for over 40 years I have reviewed from the references & categories daily. Probably the perspective of this gospel-note series is the “overflow ministry” of the memory work, and related Biblical studies. And I just noticed recently that I’ve already done at least one “note” on each of the top 7 categories: Sin-#137, Error/ Philosophy-#161, Imposters-#57, Inspiration-#171, Comfort-#136, New Covenant-#119 & 135, Jesus-#7 & 97 - The following list of scriptures are the outstanding ones from each of the 7 categories above:
* Sin – “sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all men sinned,” Romans 5:12 Sin has been a HUGE problem in this world – maybe the biggest of all.
* Error/Philosophy – “Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.” Colossians 2:8 KJV
* Imposters – “They say continually to those who despise the word of the Lord, ‘It shall be well with you’; and to everyone who stubbornly follows his own heart, they say, ‘No evil shall come upon you,’” Jeremiah 23:17 False teaching & leaders are a problem that goes back thousands of years.
* Inspiration – “For the Word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12 The Word of God is Amazing!
* Comfort – “We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28
* New Covenant – “I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brethren; and I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him. And whoever will not give heed to my words which he shall speak in my name, I myself will require it of him." Deuteronomy 18:18-19 God speaking to Moses 1500 B.C. & recorded by Divine dictation. Many other refs. of the
beautiful New Covenant are in Old and New Testaments till scripture was complete in about 100 A.D.
* JESUS – “Behold, I am laying in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone, of a sure foundation: ‘He who believes will not be in haste.’” Isaiah 28:16 Prediction of Christ 600 years BEFORE the incarnation. J.C. is the center of the N.C. & the most premium revelation/miracle of God this old world has ever known. And the 4 Gospels clearly show that Jesus Christ is sovereign over nature, Satan, sickness, and death.
In those few years of memorizing and arranging categories, I had no “plan” of the “special” groups above. They just happened, and I can truly see the cross section & essence of Biblical Christianity in the 7 choice “categories” above. It’s not only what most protestant & catholic churches teach, but it’s what I have discovered by experience that Christianity is all about. And the New Covenant really is God’s final invitation to “dance” with people.
Well it may have been easier w/less “homework” to just go with some “old line” denomination back then. But after 46 years of pursuing J.C. & scripture as per above, I’m 100% sure that choosing Jesus & His Word is the right track to receive God’s blessing in this life, and a sure place in His eternal kingdom. See also link 28 “What’s In It For Me”.
Many other Titles: www.gospelnotes.net – Link 0 is Index * * F. J. Stone * *