COMFORT FROM ABOVE
This Old world is a place where people sometimes look for comfort. They start out looking to Mom; and most folks find it there. Then at an early age we look for friendship & acceptance for comfort. Of course at some point young people find out about alcohol. In the south (and elsewhere) it might be Southern Comfort, 88 proof ?. . . (I had a dear sister who became addicted to booze early in her life – her stomach rotted & ¾ of it was removed at age 35 or so. Then her throat rotted & a festering hole developed, & at age 72 was her demise, without “comfort”). In the north people get comfort from warm & cozy coats & sleeping bags. And getting our comfort from this world & its natural sources may be fine & good. Only the reliability & durability of that comfort can often disappoint, or completely fail – the frozen boot in the jaw can happen when we need something more soothing & warm . . .
But how does “Comfort From Above” work? I believe God has put us on this planet to seek Him, and the kind of comfort this world doesn’t offer. Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” John 14:27 Well that should be comforting, and it is from Truth Incarnate Himself. But are there other references in the Book on the subject of “Comfort From Above”? Yes, from cover to cover, please let me offer a few:
- Deuteronomy 31:8 “It is the Lord who goes before you; he will be with you, he will not fail you or forsake you; do not fear or be dismayed.” (Moses said that to Joshua a General, but also valid for the ordinary seeker today.)
- Ezra 8:22a “The hand of our God is for good upon all that seek him, . . .”
- Psalms 25:14 “The secret of the Lord is with them that fear him, and he will shew them his covenant”. KJV
- Psalms 94:19 “When the cares of my heart are many, thy consolations cheer my soul.”
- Lamentations 3:25 “The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul that seeks him.”
- Romans 8:18 “I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.”
- Romans 8:28 “We know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose.” KJV
- Numbers 6:24-26 “The Lord bless you and keep you; The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you; The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.” (That is the great benediction of Moses – famous for thirty-five hundred years now, and still valid.)
Those references are too many for an essay of this length. But they are morsels of truth I’ve had memorized for about 40 years! Back then I discovered many elements of Divine provision for distraught people (myself one of them), and developed an interest in the “Comfort From Above”. I have found that God’s principles & provisions are reliable & steady, & basically free. It’s just too sad that most folks don’t know (or care) about the good stuff from our Biblical God. I want to be one that spreads the good news. And link 28 also deals with Divine provisions - "What's In It For Me?"
Now scripture teaches that the natural human condition is unsaved & short of God’s favor or blessing. Romans 3:23 Some folks can’t handle this Biblical teaching & cook up all kinds of reasons why they think it’s not so. But for those of us who just accept the Word as it is, we are in a much better position to receive good stuff, & “Comfort From Above”. Jesus puts it in a nutshell in the third chapter of Revelation, v. 20 “Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any one hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.” Choose God’s salvation & Jesus, They are alive. Be on the winning team, and get your share of that “Comfort From Above”. See also link 103 “Mindset of Victory”.
Many other interesting titles: www.gospelnotes.net – Link 0 is Index * * F. J. Stone * *