Embracing is a human thing – it means to clasp in the arms lovingly, or to accept readily. Also to take up or adopt eagerly or seriously. People embrace lovers, hobbies, vocations/professions, philosophies, religions, activist causes, various obsessions, Hollywood, etc. We are known by what we embrace. Someone has said: “What we choose to embrace, what we choose to be responsive to, is the purest reflection of who we are, and what we love.” Terryl Givens.
- - Typical Embracings - -
- “Hollywood” is where image & social connections are supreme. (* see Edmund Wilson below)
- Politicians embrace their party platforms & ideals. - Youth embrace teen idols & culture & often drugs.
- Video gamers embrace a surreal world of drama & action that captivates their minds.
- Tree huggers embrace nature & preservation of the wild.
- Survivalists embrace concepts of self preservation fearing that this world system will soon crash & burn.
- Most Philosophers & liberals embrace arguments that deny the Biblical God & support unbelief.
While some of the above “embracings” can be legitimate, many of them can be in the “obsessions” category. (see link 61.) And obsessions create an out of balance condition in our lives. Sigmund Freud said this: “A man should not try to eliminate his complexes (an integration of impulses, ideas, & emotions) but to get into accord with them; they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world.” The problem there is continuing the loop of an unhealthy out of balance lifestyle. Embracing some things is a path to frustration & failure. Another problem is embracing the world totally (see “The World” link 27) & pushing away the gospel of Christ.
- How many embrace their conscience?
LEGITIMATE QUESTIONS - How many embrace legitimate FAITH?
- How many embrace Jesus & their eternal destiny??
Embracing the conscience & FAITH & Jesus Christ has to be the highest & most legitimate life purpose of all - IF - (1) we all were put in this world to find God & make peace with Him. (2) we all have a SOUL which can be assassinated by unrestrained “embracing” & worldliness – Mark ref. below. (3) we all die at a certain point, and THAT is permanent & final (which appears to be the case). It is said that angels embrace God 24-7 & have the rewards for that devotion. We humans too can enjoy temporal & eternal rewards from devotion & embracing God. That’s the whole message of the Bible. It’s the gospel in a nutshell.
* Psalm 103:20 KJV “Bless the Lord, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word!”
* Lamentations 3:25-26 “The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul that seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.”
* Mark 8:36-37 KJV “For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?” J.C. said that.
* Ephesians 5:11 “Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.”
* 2 Timothy 4:10 “Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me . . .”
* James 4:8 “Draw near to God and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you men of double mind.”
* 1 Peter 5:8-9 “Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experience of suffering is required of your brotherhood throughout the world.”
So who are you? Are you an embracer of worldly things that disappoint & fade, or are you aiming higher? Choose Jesus, He is alive. Embrace Christ’s salvation, value system, & personal integrity. Those things last & bring fulfillment. See also “What’s In It For Me?” link 28.
* All Hollywood corrupts, and absolute Hollywood corrupts absolutely. E.W. - American writer
Many other Titles: www.gospelnotes.net – link 1 is Index. * * F.J.Stone * *