Evidence of Being Lost
According to scripture, humans are either lost or found. In the Old Testament the Jewish race was the “chosen” or found race. In the New Testament, Christ re-defines being “found” more in a personal commitment context than a racial or national framework. In Matthew chapter 7 (which is an excellent assessment of lost & found), we read the words of Jesus himself, “you will know them by their fruits . . . every sound tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears evil fruit,” vs. 16-17. So what does that “evil fruit” or “evidence” look like?? The following list is by no means complete:
- Having no need or interest in the Church J. C. died for. Lots of folks are in this boat . . .
- Having no need or respect for the Bible which God has prepared for our instruction & comfort.
- Using profanity, & God’s name in vain is evidence of being on the “lost” team.
- Movie going & TV to an excess. The theater has always been suspect by the religious community & today it’s too easy to see why. I personally believe many movie directors & TV barons are possessed by high level demons of hell. The Amish have a healthy (maybe extreme?) position to totally reject the theater, & TV is taboo to them also.
- Bars & drinking needs little comment – but specialty bars appear to be worse. Especially LGBT – too bizarre. God will at best have 3 words for it. “Depart from me . . .” Matthew 25:41 See link 34 “Diabolic Churches.”
- There has always been those who make fun & jokes about Divine material – heaven, hell, angels, devils, etc. That kind of levity & entertainment smells like “evidence” to me.
- Then we have the intellectual crowd that says “all paths lead to the same heaven.” I know it appears bigoted to believe “one way Jesus”, but that other position dumps on Biblical revelation AND the words of Christ. Either the Bible is true or it’s not . . . Hebrews 4:12-13 gives a penetrating assessment of the Word – both Christ & the written pages.
- A focus on one’s personal integrity, staying out of jail, paying one’s way, environmental concerns & activism, animal rights, etc. – all of which may be fine & good, but the criterion for acceptance w/God is accepting J.C. & His atonement for our sin & humanness. “There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.” Proverbs 14:12
Maybe the best evidence of being lost is that argument that says “I don’t need to be found if there is NO LOST” –or- “there is no devil or hell to worry about.” People who say those things are exactly where the god of this fallen world wants them – lost & happy about it. Well it’s a sad day for this country to see such numbers displaying the “evidences” listed above. (And I know this is a negative type of “G-note”, but it needed to be written – especially to balance the one before, link 136 “Comfort From Above.”) Below are a few references from God’s word which seem to shed light on this sad subject:
-- “Rescue those who are being taken away to death; hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter. Proverbs 24:11 (The preacher's job.)
-- “Jesus said . . . “if you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” “So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.” John 8:31-32, 36
-- “Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.” Romans 8:7-9 KJV
-- “the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.” 2 Corinthians 4:4
An incident in Oregon way back in ’74 is worth sharing. After I told a stoned character about God’s salvation & blessing, he laid some of the “evidences” above on me. He then went away “hissing & spitting” saying, “that religious rut is O.K. for you but not for me.” Well, He came back several weeks later shining like a new penny with the testimony of Jesus’ redeeming power. And that’s my purpose writing these “G-notes.” Just stir up interest in Divine things & plant a few seeds. “Taste & see that the Lord is good! Happy is the man who takes refuge in him!” Psalm 34:8 “For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you.” Jeremiah 29:11-12 Choose Jesus, He is alive. See also link 9 “Serving God”.
Many other interesting titles: www.gospelnotes.net – index is link 1 * * F. J. Stone * *