FAMOUS LAST WORDS
The following are the last known words spoken by famous people.
- Beecher, Henry Ward (1813-1887) “Now comes the mystery.”
- Costello, Lou (1906-1959) “That was the best ice-cream soda I ever tasted.” (And the last.)
- Crosby, Bing (1903-1977) “That was a great game of golf, fellers.”
- Jackson, ‘Stonewall’ (1824-1863) “Let us pass over the river and rest under the shade of the trees.” (He had been inadvertently shot by his own men.)
- Malcom X (1925-1965) “Cool it, brothers . . .” (His last words before being assassinated.)
- Marx, Karl (1818-1883) “Go on, get out. Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough.”
- Presley, Elvis (1935-1977) “I hope I haven’t bored you.” (Concluding what would be his last press conference.)
- Sanders, George (1906-1972) “Dear World, I am leaving you because I am bored. I am leaving you with your worries. Good luck.” (His suicide note.) not Col. Sanders - KFC
- Thomas, Dylan 1914-1953) ‘I have just had eighteen whiskeys in a row. I do believe that is a record.” -- Welsh poet.
- Voltaire (1694-1778) “This is no time to make new enemies.” (When asked on his deathbed to forswear Satan.)
- Mary the mother of Christ: “Do whatever he tells you.” (John Chapter 2 when Jesus turned approx. 150 gals. of water into the best quality wine at the Cana wedding.)
Now considering that J.C. is probably the most famous person ever born, His mother’s last known words are interesting. And if Christ is God in the flesh, shouldn’t we ponder those last words, “Do whatever he tells you.”? The directives of Christ, first, last and all in between are especially penetrating if indeed He is/was the one the previous list of humans were fixing to meet as their final judge . . .
Here’s a few BEFORE the last – “But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you . . .” “Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew 5:44, 11:29 . . . “If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.” Mark 8:34 “. . . Jesus stood up and proclaimed, “If any one thirst, let him come to me and drink . . . Out of his heart shall flow rivers of living water.” John 7:37-38 “It is finished,” are the last words of Christ while living. John 19:30
The following are the last words of J.C. AFTER His death & resurrection (a one-of-a-kind encore): “I am the Alpha and the Omega . . . who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” Revelation 1:8 “I am he who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.” v.18 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” Rev. 2:7 (That last phrase was repeated six more times, which indicates the importance of the thought.) “As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.” Rev. 3:19 “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work” . . . “Surely I am coming quickly.” Rev. 22:12 & 20. The last word.
I realize that the previous paragraphs have way too much scripture refs. for an essay of this length. But the famous person who said that stuff is way too intense not to quote Him excessively. He claimed to be God which is beyond any human’s territory. If He really was/is God, ANYTHING He said should be intensely considered, pondered, meditated, reflected, cogitated, contemplated, ruminated, deliberated, head-worked, and studied before its too late . . . I would love to know what the famous folks listed above would say about Jesus Christ if they could come back and talk to us . . . But they can’t come back, & we have to act on “faith” - trusting and acting on the words of that famous person J.C., just as they should have. Choose Jesus, He is alive. See “I saw the King” Link #7
Other interesting titles: www.gospelnotes.net - Link 1 is Index * * F. J. Stone * *