What is gravity? We know we have weight & are subject to the pull of the earth. Is gravity a kind of magnetism? Is it a product of huge mass & heat? Scientists say the core of the earth is nickel & iron which gives earth its magnetic field. It is 1800 miles beneath the surface - about 4400 miles in diameter & it’s very hot. Now our moon is 2160 miles in diameter, so the earth core is about twice the size of the moon . . . And gravity pulls everything – rocks, wood, water, metal, even air. Now at 35,000 feet in an airliner (this was written in a Boeing 767) you will still have gravity. You walk the isles, sit in a seat, eat & drink, use the lavatory, wash face & hands in the sink, etc. The whole concept of gravity is a mystery if you think about it.
Now applying “gravity” to the much greater dimension also fits. If God exists at the core of the universe, He should have a “pull” on his creation – esp. humans. Having enormous mass & warmth (love), we may have no choice but to gravitate towards Him sooner, or later. People are hopelessly religious by nature. There are about 19 major world religions which are subdivided into a total of 270 large religious groups, and Hundreds more smaller groups. Christian scripture says “no one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him; . . . John 6:44. That is the true “gravity” of God. (And yes, there are some false religious “pulls” out there – a lot of them . . .)
I remember from the age of about 6 some kind of “pull” towards truth & integrity which I resisted with a passion till 18 or so. (The world has a way of neutralizing the gravity of God.) But then I heard the gospel of Christ & began to think about scripture concepts. I was drawn to the realism in the gospels. The character of J.C. & his dealings with the people of Palestine revealed they were just like us in this day & age. As those folks of 2000 years ago reached out to Jesus, so did I – I gave Him a chance. (But He was reaching out to me BEFORE I reached out to Him – “gravity” & mystery.)
Well, as Newton learned that the apple falls direct to the ground because of gravity, those drawn by God will learn that Divine Gravity pulls folks to an experience with a living God. And I believe anyone who has read this far is being pulled to Christ even now. Even you. And please don’t waste too much time reading “Gospel-notes” – go to the meat of the matter & read the Gospels of Matthew, Luke & John. The Acts & then get into the Epistles of Paul – Romans, Corinthians, Galatians, etc. The Psalms are also intense reading from the days of David. To learn of those scriptures is to touch & feel the SOURCE of Divine gravity. And I learned a long time ago that He is amazing to deal with. The faith dimension is something people should not neglect or resist. (Doing so is something like shooting oneself in the foot.) See “Faith” link 75.
- “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me; and I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand.” John 10: 27-28
- “Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.” Revelation 3:20
- “For those whom he foreknew, he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son . . . And those whom he predestined he also called; and those whom he called he also justified; and those whom he justified he also glorified. Romans 8:29-30 (A favorite ref. of our Calvinist friends, but it does speak of Divine “gravity”.)
- “If you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9
- “To thee they cried, and were saved; in thee they trusted, and were not disappointed. Psalms 22:5
Finally, as Newton discovered that the apple lets go & falls to the ground, so we can “let go & fall to God.” Let go of carnal pride, ego, lame atheist arguments, worldly values, slothfulness, etc. & gravitate to Christ’s salvation & power & blessing & eternal bliss. Choose Jesus, He is alive.
For other Gospel-notes go to: www.gosplenotes.net * * * * Fred J. Stone * * * *