Sad Facts Of Life
In about 1974 an old man in Oregon told me, “Fred you will see some sad things in your life.” Well I didn’t know what he meant but it almost seemed like prophecy the way it came out of him. For over 40 years I have made the following observations. Many of which were learned the hard way.
– Love can & will turn into hate. Young love is especially at risk. The purpose of love is to make life better but it often backfires when people are ignorant or inexperienced with love, and don’t know how to guard it.
– For some problems there is no human solution and/or human counsel.
– Too often people with many friends value each only a little. People with few friends value each too much.
– When you are down & depressed expect little help from others. Most likely you will be “kicked” and/or rejected.
– When you do your best, often it won’t be appreciated or it won’t be good enough.
– People generally don’t care much about others (unless there is an ulterior motive.) When many friendships seem to be shallow, this may be quite normal.
– When you try real hard to get something perfect, it won’t survive because something else will come along and spoil it nearly every time.
– If a group leader is attractive, warm & friendly, popular, etc, then the group followers will defend him right or wrong, Truth be damned.
– Humans are supposed to be better than any animal of God’s creation. Often they are lower than animals. Animals respect their master or at least the one who feeds them. Humans don’t always. Animals don’t bomb or gas or otherwise kill masses of their own kind. They don’t systematically kill their babies either. Man even killed his Creator when He came to visit this planet. See link 182 "Human Nature".
– It's sad when you intend for something you say or do to be cute or funny, but it gets misinterpreted to be rude or spiteful. Then you end up losing friends and being public enemy number one.
– It's sad when God’s people are too competitive, i.e. holier, more spiritual, more knowledgeable, etc. but have lost sight of love.
– It's sad when God’s people are too social or status conscious, but have lost sight of spirituality.
– All people wear a mask. Nobody is as fine as they wish to appear.
– The things fallen human nature needs most to elevate it are BIBLICAL TRUTH and FAITH. Those things are constantly avoided as most people lapse deeper in unbelief & sin. See link 17 "Concerning Quicksand".
– “Truth shall forever be on the scaffold, and wrong forever on the throne as long as time shall last.” Anon.
– Friendship is where you find it, not necessarily where it’s supposed to be. Don’t count on “given” friends such as family members, neighbors, minister, church acquaintances, etc. as they may disappoint you. See Proverbs 18:24
– Big hearted, compassionate, caring people will be exploited. Those who don’t know how to say NO will be taken to the cleaners.
– People believe what they want to believe. Its sad that this human trait doesn’t usually employ much reason, logic, or a careful analysis of the facts. All forms of prejudice thrive while Truth gets abused in this environment.
– If you’re successful, you win false friends and make true enemies.
– Honesty and frankness will get you nowhere: They make you vulnerable.
– People really need help but they attack you if you try to help them.
– Give the world the best you have and you sometimes get kicked in the mouth. See "Hazards of Giving" link131
Well, being aware of such “facts” may be helpful but it does call for a word of encouragement. If it's all true, how do we avoid becoming negative “nervous Nellies” ourselves? The Jesus of the Bible was a very special person and He said “Come to me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 When we accept Christ’s salvation, and live in faith (Psalms 23) God can and will show us all kinds of neat “stuff” and give the “victory” over this world’s sad facts. Isaiah put it this way; “The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your desire with good things, and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters fail not." Isaiah 58:11 Choose Jesus He is alive. See also Link 157 “Happy Facts of Life”.
Many other Titles: www.gospelnotes.net - Link 1 is Index * * F. J. Stone * *