THE NATURE OF GOD
What is God like?, is a HUGE question for humans, and it should be addressed by a team of doctorate level theologians. However, lots of diversity, tradition, & philosophy rambling would only confuse the matter. Most preachers would simply present God’s attributes such as holiness, eternity, life, immutability, omnipotence, omniscience, author of salvation, forgiveness, receives prayer & worship, then of course judgment. But all of that would be out of the scope of this short essay. This Gospel-note considers “the Nature of God” from what is revealed about God in the Bible. And God’s source book alone speaks loudly of His character/nature.
- “God created man in his own image; in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” Genesis 1:27 Creation is mentioned three times here – and throughout the Book creation is a constant theme. God’s nature is to make things out of nothing – class act?? No human can do that.
- “The Lord sees not as man sees; man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7b Almost like God has X-ray vision. We see the surface – He sees in depth.
- “the ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning and bread and meat in the evening . . .”
1 Kings 17:6 This little known & simple MIRACLE speaks of God’s sense of humor. But scripture has loads of AWESOME miracles to challenge the pride & ego of intellectual man. Much of God’s nature & character is seen in the MAGNITUDE of Biblical miracles. And they still happen today. See “My Miracles” link 33.
- “Look among the nations, and see; wonder and be astounded. For I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told.” Habakkuk 1:5 In that day 650 years B.C. the Chaldeans were to punish Israel for its sin, which happened. Then Messiah/Christ came at the appointed time to be the lamb of God for sin. People who think are overwhelmed at the notion that God would appear as a baby, born in an animal shelter because "no room in the inn" – THEN preach & do miracles & boldly DIE for our sin. God’s nature of LOVE shines through here . . . (The question now is, what kind of amazing thing will God do in our day??)
- “Jesus declared, I thank thee Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to babes . . .” Matthew 11:25-26 Blocking Divine truth from the proud & successful, and revealing it to the humble is a powerful picture of God’s nature. And Jesus C. chose disciples from common stock. The Apostle Paul was a different bird with degrees untold, but God had to knock him silly to see the light – Acts 9.
- “the Word of God is living and active, sharper than any two edged sword . . . before him no creature is hidden . . .” Hebrews 4:12 This reference speaks of the scripture AND Christ. A mystical union that baffles all theologians to pieces. The book of scripture itself is unlike any other book. But blend it with J.C. as God’s VOICE today and you have an awesome combo. Only the nature & character of God could have produced this mystical union of the written Word & J. C. Himself.
- “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.” 1 Corinthians 2:9 This is commonly taken as a reference to Heaven & eternal life. It may also refer to spiritual goodies in this life (Isaiah64:4, Ephesians 2:4-7), but Jesus did refer to heaven often. And providing a heaven for the redeemed is a premium illustration of God’s character. His JUSTICE is seen in providing a hell for those who reject their creator & Biblical salvation, then live a life of sin & self . . .
Untouchable questions such as: how old is God?, where did He come from?, where is His throne?, etc. may be moot issues. But it IS God’s nature to reveal Himself through faith, & in the Bible, & bless those who seek Him. If we toss the Book (or undermine its authority), we lose the best source of info on God’s nature. Then we may end up with some odd form of false God, or no God, & that will be an eternal disaster. Why take that chance?? Hell already has enough citizens . . . Choose Jesus & His Word, they are alive, and really do reveal “The Nature of God”. See also “Was Jesus God?” link 97
Other Interesting Titles: www.gospelnotes.net – link 1 is index * * F. J. Stone * *