The word “agenda” is a simple one. Even in a big dictionary it is defined only as a list of things to be done – or – a list of things to be discussed at a business meeting. Commonly we think of an agenda as someone’s main purpose. As in “hidden or secret agenda.” Some of these may be familiar:
- the dog catcher – catch & haul in stray dogs, and maybe an occasional cat.
- the teenage idol – charm the 10-17 year old's with acting or musical talent & rake in as much $ as possible. (But their agenda typically backfires – look at them in 10-20 years . . .)
- the drug addict – get more drugs hook or crook.
- ISIS – kill as many Christians & infidels as possible & let Alla sort them out.
- the EPA, unions, & government agencies – kill small business with red tape, endless petty rules, & regulations.
- the U.S. secular university – educate young people, but make sure their faith is destroyed – especially Christian faith & Biblical concepts.
- human nature – the standard agenda of pride & ego, or “my way or highway” is common enough.
Does God have an “agenda”? According to the Bible, yes there is a Divine Agenda. First we see creation of the earth & life. Next we see God revealing Himself. The Book of Exodus & Moses is where that revealing gets very technical & interesting. Page after page it says “The Lord said to Moses" – at least 13 chapters start this way. And Moses was an educated man who WROTE IT ALL DOWN. (Exodus 24:4; But God wrote some of it – the Ten Commandments on stone – Exodus 20.) Next we see God visiting his creation as a man – Jesus Christ. Next we see the crucifixion of Jesus Christ as atonement for man’s fallen nature & sin. Finally we see the GOSPEL message intellectualized by Paul, the “grafted in” Apostle, & dramatic example of the new birth. (Acts 9:1-30) Paul wrote much of the New Testament.
There is the overall “agenda” of God. It can be put in a nutshell by these references:
- “For the Son of man came to seek and to save the lost.” Luke 19:10
- “And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.” John 3:14-15
- “And he made from one every nation of men to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their habitation, that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel after him and find him. . . ” Acts 17:26-27
- “And without faith it is impossible to please him. For whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.” Hebrews 11:6
I believe those “rewards” just above amount to a Divine Blessing on the seekers life, then heaven when we “kick the bucket.” And God’s agenda is not hidden or secret – it is VERY well known. If the individual (you) wants to know, it’s available & basically free information. Sure, some religious groups have tampered with the GOSPEL message, but that hasn’t killed it – Jesus & His salvation is still alive & well, “in spite of hell." Have YOU connected w/God’s agenda?? “Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any one hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.” Revelation 3:20 Choose Jesus & God’s agenda, they are alive. If we find a Bible believing church & support it, we are showing commitment to “God’s agenda.” See also “What’s In It For Me” link 28.
Other interesting titles: www.gospelnotes.net -- index of series is link * * F. J. Stone * *