This is moving the body and feet in rhythm, ordinarily to music (Webster). Of course many animals & birds have dances. But humans also have the abstract contorted dance of daily balancing religion, politics, & class struggle. And we are all into this awkward “dance.”
Religion – all folks have their persuasion whether Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, & even atheism/liberalism can be embraced as a religion. (“right or wrong, truth be damned” . . .) A brief study of the Gospels will show that J.C. was careful to “dance” with all types.
Politics – we hold our political position dearly whether we understand freedom or our political system. We are what we are: Republican, Democrat, or middle ground blokes. And we typically think all others are WRONG. How human is this??
Class Struggle – I figure in the American society there are maybe 50 economic levels commonly thought of as the Ladder Of Success. At any rung of the ladder, it’s typical for folks to avoid those below, and HATE or be jealous of those above. Then some people gauge their righteousness on being at the bottom of the ladder of success – many homeless people & religious orders have this mindset. Others think righteousness is being more productive & at the top rungs of the ladder. Actually the L.O.S. has little to do with right standing w/God. Some thinker said this: “A man ought not to value himself of his achievements, or rare qualities of wit; much less of his riches, virtue or kindred.” Anon.
Well, all contortions will be found in this unfriendly “dance” of religion, politics, & class struggle. And why do we have this dance? I believe it is due to American freedom to choose our religion, politics, and social class. Because we are free to choose, we must do that, & it can be difficult. In another land where someone else does the thinking & choosing, it would be easier to feel righteous in the arenas above.
So how does the Book offer any hope to the R.P.C.S. “dance” of this world? Simply by revealing God’s standards:
- Proverbs 22:2 “The rich and the poor meet together; the Lord is the maker of them all.”
- Jeremiah 9:23 “Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, let not the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches; 24 but let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practice kindness, justice, and righteousness in the earth; . . .”
- Romans 10:3 “For, being ignorant of the righteousness that comes from God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness.”
- Romans 10:4 “For Christ is the end of the law, that everyone who has faith may be justified.” (That’s God’s righteousness.)
People should blend the resurrected/living Christ into their difficult “dance” w/religion, politics, & class struggle to make better sense of the world. And on judgment day before God, if there is a question WHY we consider ourselves righteous, we do well NOT to point at our denomination or political standing or achievements. Point only to Christ, His sacrificial “dance” – all of it -death, burial & resurrection, that’s God’s righteousness; if we receive it. * Choose Jesus, He is alive. Revelation 3:20 “Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any one hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.”
Many other Titles: www.gospelnotes.net – link 0 is index. * * F. J. Stone * *
* From “What is the Gospel” Greg Gilbert, 2010