This Hard World
Not many would dispute the title of this G-note. Having to work to survive, deal with obstacles, physical problems, mental problems, emotional problems, and the aging process can be a constant grind. For the vast majority of folks, “This Hard World” is just reality. And I see so many folks who have one crisis after the other. My deceased sister had 9 marriages which failed in sequence, man #10 didn’t marry her, but he did bury her (a distasteful rhyme there). At any rate, the scripture does admit that this world is abrasive to humans. “Man is born to trouble as the sparks fly upward.” Job 5:7 So, does Scripture offer a better plan for folks to deal with “This Hard World”??
Of course it does. From cover to cover there are teachings that offer a better approach to living & avoiding excess problems. Long ago I personally asked “why such a hard world?”, & decided to give the Christian life a shot to see if there was anything to it. Actually I was surprised to find the following:
- - That dreaded salvation experience is not just a religious formality with lots of people looking on, but can be a spiritual rebirth or awakening.
- - Prayer is not a mind–numbing & empty ritual, but a connection with a higher power that sympathizes with our needs AND is willing and able to supply them. (See “What Is Prayer” link 37)
- - The Bible is not boring, it is a penetrating & amazing presentation of the mind & perspectives of the living God. (See “Why The Bible” link 65)
- - The minister/priest is not a “jerk w/o work.” He is usually a professional who is skilled in dealing with human issues & problems. Many are trained counselors with years of experience.
- - The church is not a haven of losers, but a hospital for sin sick humanity. I’ve found lots of quality folks there. (Occasionally a false Christian, but that’s not God’s fault . . .)
- - Giving or tithing is not a matter of throwing money down a rat hole, but a matter of experiencing the sowing & reaping laws of God. And those laws are amazing to behold – they become part of worship at a deeper level. (See “Christian Giving” link 30)
- - Faith is not for ignorant folks, but a dimension of God that opens to us as we interact with it. Faith is not a blind leap in the dark either. It’s just a matter of seeking God. (See “Faith” link 75)
- - Divine Guidance is real, if we are looking for it. (See link 143.)
Well “This Hard World” keeps rolling along in space. And people keep rolling along with hard problems. Universities keep presenting Bible denying & Christ rejecting philosophies/answers for life. So, natural barriers between man & God continue to block folks from the good stuff listed above. “My people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.” Jeremiah 2:13 Why not look to that Higher Power for some answers? J. C. is notorious for infusing discipline, order, direction, & progress into the life of “whosoever” will look beyond “This Hard World” & it’s hopelessness. Here are some clear teachings/promises from the Bible:
- “Thou dost show me the path of life; in thy presence there is fullness of joy, in thy right hand are pleasures for evermore.” Psalms 16:11
- “O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him.” Psalms 34:8
- “Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalms 37:4
- “Jesus said unto them, “I am the bread of life; he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.” John 6:35
- “Hitherto you have asked nothing in my name: ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full. John 16:24 Jesus said that.
Those references are from the Book of Psalms and the Gospel of John. A seeker of truth & hope could gain penetrating info from just those two books of the Bible. But there’s tons more “invisible support” in the rest of the Book. Of course we still have the church, & “Divine Presence,” and other goodies from above which removes many of the biting teeth from “This Hard World.” Choose Jesus & His value system, they are alive. See also “Comfort From Above" link 136.
Other interesting titles: www.gospelnotes.net - Link 1 is Index * * F. J. Stone * *