What's In It For Me?
Sooner or later we all hear about God’s claim on our souls & lives. Maybe from a T.V. evangelist or a religious booklet or a friend or by whatever means the message comes. Most people listen and some make a decision. But all ask the question above. And it’s a legitimate question. Listed below are some of the benefits of being Christian.
1. Release from dark powers. Most folks are quick to say that’s rubbish - either there is no devil or he has no power over me. . . Well according to the Bible he has a legal claim to this world and all the people in it. (The Apostle Paul's mission) “. . . to open their eyes, that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God. . . " Acts 26:18 see also Matthew 4:8-9
2. Free salvation. The scriptures talk about lost/saved issues very often, especially in the New Testament. See John 3:16 & Acts 4:12
3. Relief from the fear of death & hell. The Bible discusses life & death issues clearly & with authority. We see who & what God is & how he is a constant factor in life while man comes & goes; all of us. The knowledge disclosed about the afterlife (especially for the saved) dispels uncertainty & fear of the unknown.
4. Divine guidance. This can be a direct thing from the Holy Spirit or general teaching from the Word of God. Either way it’s great to be directed from a higher power rather than stumbling along “blind” & “eating” much more heart aches & troubles than we should. Then it leads us to the BEST VERSION OF OURSELVES and I believe better days. (Habakkuk 3:19) See link 143 "Divine guidance"
5. Answered prayer. Anyone can pray but the secret is being heard & answered by a Christ who knows & cares about our needs. “ the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer” . . . 1 Peter 3:12 See Link 37 "What Is Prayer?"
6. Divine Presence. God has always desired to be "present" with people. And Christians have access to a Counselor/Comforter/Spirit of Truth like the world knows nothing about. See link 73 "Divine Presence"
7. Divine healing. Now this has a mysterious reputation, maybe even controversial. But I have experienced it & know for sure that God heals whenever & whoever He wants to. Jesus healed lots of folks before he went to the cross. He is still in the same business. “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” Hebrews 13:8 See Link 132 "Divine Healing".
8. The Church. This is a real big benefit for Christians. It offers worship services, fellowship, much teaching about Divine issues, a place for baptisms, weddings, funerals, outreach to the poor, and professional counseling, among other things. Then it has a built-in moral code for the family, (which is very valuable). Any community is lucky to have churches regardless of the denomination. See link 49 "Which Church Is Right?"
9. Peace. This is something money can’t buy. It is a gift from above & the scriptures say a lot about it. Old & New Testaments. See Isaiah 26:3, John 14:27, Romans 15:13 just to begin the subject of peace.
10. Eternal life in Heaven. Money can’t buy this one either. Jesus talked a lot about heaven so if there is no heaven then Christ is a liar. But that’s not possible. Jesus was & is TRUTH incarnate. And Heaven is a prepared place for prepared people. See link 12 "Seven Wonders of Heaven." For a picture of it see Revelation 21 & 22.
To conclude & summarize the 10 benefits above one can say that the Blessing of God is in it for me. And that ain’t bad anyway you look at it. Whether the blessing is coming at us from points 1-10, or radiating down on the believer from another dimension ABOVE. I believe it’s both & I like it. You will too. Choose Jesus - He is alive. Rev 3:20 “Behold, I stand at the door & knock; if any one hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.” Psalm 68:19 "Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits . . ." Also Psalm 103 says clearly, "What's In It For Me."
Over 195 other Titles: www.gospelnotes.net - Index is link 0 * * F. J. Stone * *